06 July 2008

"But I'm a future LAWYER!"

Posted by Shake sense into me

Finding a place to live in my law school city has proved to be...well, fruitless to say the least. Apparently the words "student" and "no income" fail to put you at the top of your prospective landlord's list of possible tenants. Baked goods don't help, either. I have called 5 different apartment complexes to no answer or returned calls. This is not good.

Life seemed good when I responded to an add somebody placed for a roommate from another prospective student at my prospective school. We e-mailed back and forth, traded voicemail messages, and then...she bailed. So I said to myself, "Don't let that one get you down! Let's try another!" So I did. This one had three different names she responded to, but I thought she was just being paranoid (and I could forgive that), or she was schizo (and hey, aren't we all a little schizo?). We exchanged multiple e-mails and even had a long conversation on the phone. I thought for sure this one would work out - she was even already set on a place and confident we could get it! I woke up the next morning to search the classifieds only to find another post from the three-named gal for a roommate...I guess we didn't hit it off? I felt kind of like Carrie Bradshaw when she got dumped via post-it note: he even brought her pink carnations! It seemed like it would work!

So, at this point, I've asked about...3 different people to be my roommate and I am actively searching with all of them as well as for myself. Is this bad? They don't know about each other. I saw a cute yet homely (yes, homely - not homey) place yesterday that I will be applying for, unbeknownst to my potential roomies. Something tells me, however, when this one sees my "Monthly Income" she won't be too pleased with me and I will go to the bottom of her list :( . Plus when I saw her place, I was unaware, but apparently my pink underwear was visible through my cute, white, flowery skirt (I try to dress nice and look what happens! Way to backfire!).

I have...37 days until I need to move in somewhere, or else I will have to spend $200/month on an 1.5 hour commute twice a day and that is not in my budget!

0 comments: