28 August 2008

An update on ruining my life

Posted by Shake sense into me

Law school is still bad.  But, luckily for me, I like doing the reading.  What is bad is the people.  They are bad.  This is why:


1)  They say, "I studied for NINE hours yesterday!" as if they should be proud of themselves.
2)  They say, "I already did the reading for my classes this week, and it's only Tuesday - can you believe it?" as if I should care that they are ahead of me.
3)  They highlight their books so much they may as well copy the whole thing on yellow paper.
4)  They seem to be able to maintain a social life and study for classes and come to class prepared.  
5)  They ask me, "Why don't you speak up more in class?"
Get off my back, 1Ls.  By far the coolest people I have met are the 2 and 3Ls (and the gossip girl I sit next to sometimes, she's fun).  It seems the upperclassmen just don't care as much anymore about the competition and are in it more for either the love of law or the love of drama.  It's refreshing.  
But the 1Ls are serious assbags.
Well, most of them.  Some are okay.  Some.    

2 comments:

Silly Little Law Student said...

The people will get slightly better.... but it might take until first semester grades come out in January. It usually takes some serious ego knocking with grades to get the asshats to retreat back into their shells.

Don't worry your class will get better once they stop caring what everyone thinks of them like the 2 & 3Ls.

Law Ingenue said...

Here's some snarky remarks you can make to those people who annoy you:

1) They say, "I studied for NINE hours yesterday!" as if they should be proud of themselves.

Tell them: "Really? It took you THAT long?" Then just smile and walk away.

2) They say, "I already did the reading for my classes this week, and it's only Tuesday - can you believe it?" as if I should care that they are ahead of me.

Tell them: "And you'll still remember all of that by the time class comes???"

3) They highlight their books so much they may as well copy the whole thing on yellow paper.

Tell them: "Wow! How can you even read that with so much yellow???"

4) They seem to be able to maintain a social life and study for classes and come to class prepared.

Tell them nothing. They are not nearly as prepared as you think and they don't know more than you. Just because they read doesn't mean they understood what they read. They're living in fantasy land right now.

5) They ask me, "Why don't you speak up more in class?"

Tell them: "Because I'm not a gunner."

Note: Make sure to sound innocent when dropping snarky comments.

Hang in there... those idiots in your first term will have a huge ego-blow after they get their exams back when they find out they are not as smart as they thought they were. They will quiet down by second term.

You're a realist and you will do just fine.